Friday, October 21, 2011

Brussels Sprouts




We may have been converted.

On the weekend I cooked a brussels sprouts recipe out of Gwyneth Paltrow's lovely book, "Notes from my Kitchen Table". She writes that she eats this several times a week and I wondered... am I missing out on something? With brussels sprouts still available at the farmers markets, I decided to give brussels sprouts another go.


Guess what? We liked them. A lot. This morning, my husband asked me:

"When will you be cooking brussels sprouts again?"

That is something I never expected to hear in our house. Here is the recipe.

Brussels Sprouts

serves 4

• 450 grams brussels sprouts (trimmed)
• 2 tablespoons olive oil


to serve


• a few generous pinches of sea salt

• extra virgin olive oil

• 1/2 lemon

Steam the brussels sprouts for 7 minutes or until just tender. Let them cool slightly and cut them in half lengthways. In a heavy based frying pan, heat the olive oil to medium heat. Place the brussels sprouts in a single layer, cut side down. You may need to do this in two batches. Leave them for 4-5 minutes, allowing them to brown thoroughly and evenly. Don't be tempted to stir or toss them. Keep an eye on them, you need the heat to be high enough to brown them, but low enough not to burn them. Once they have browned flip them over to colour the other side. Cook for 3 minutes. When ready, remove to a serving dish and sprinkle with salt, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and squeeze over the lemon juice.

Michelle had left a comment about her favourite way of cooking sprouts on my last sprouts post. They seem to be cooked in a similar way, except that the sprouts are sprinkled with cheese instead of lemon. Here is the link for that recipe.

Take a look here to see who else is participating in blogtoberfest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...