Sunday, October 16, 2011

Leek Soup



While some of our days at the moment are like summer, some wild winds have been making the Spring nights a little cool.

With leeks just $1.00 a bunch at my local market last Sunday, who could resist making a few last pots of soup before the season disappears for another year.

This first recipe is one I have been making for years. I adapted it from either a Dutch or Flemish recipe, I can't remember. I have searched the web for something similar, but have found nothing. So because this is my blog and I can call things whatever I like, I am going to call it Flemish Leek Soup.

However, if your are Dutch or Flemish and you know that this soups origins are from your country, please let me know.

I like to make this soup for lunch on cold wet days, or for a quick and simple Sunday night dinner.





Flemish Leek Soup


serves 4


• 3 tablespoons butter

• 225 grams leeks (well washed and chopped)

• 450 grams potatoes (peeled and cut into 2 cm cubes)

salt and pepper
• 1 1/2 litres beef stock
• 1/2 cup cream or milk

to serve


• slices of french bread (toasted)


In a large stockpot gently sauté the leeks in the butter. After about 5 minutes, add the potatoes and
season to taste. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Cover and reduce the heat to simmer for 40 minutes. Stir occasionally. Just before serving stir in the cream or milk. Place a slice of the toasted bread at the bottom of each serving bowl and pour over the hot soup.



This is another leek soup I have been making for years. I like the sharpness of the lemon, a surprise to some who would be expecting a creamy potato leek and mushroom soup. It is also another quick one to make when last minute guests turn up for lunch on a cold weekend.
I think it is of Eastern European origin?

Potato, Leek and Mushroom Soup


serves 4-6


• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 6 leeks (chopped and well washed)
• 4 large potatoes (peeled and cut into 2 cm dice)

• 250 grams mushrooms (sliced)

• salt and pepper
• 8 cups chicken stock

• 1/2 cup lemon juice



Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot to medium heat. Add the vegetables and cook for 5 minutes, stir occasionally. Season to taste Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Stir through lemon juice and serve immediately.

Take a look here to see who else is participating in blogtoberfest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...