Friday, May 27, 2011

Guacamole



I don't know why, but I have just started to make this old favourite again recently. I think I took it to every party I went to during the 90's. When my son was about 3 years old he saw 'guacamole' being made on Play School. We had all of the ingredients in the fridge and made it that afternoon. He loved it and from that day on, when avocados were in season, the avocado dip I usually made was: avocado, tomato and philadelphia cheese. Play School's guacamole. Only this year for his birthday, did I decide it was time for some grown up guacamole and pulled out this recipe. It is loved just as much, has way more flavour and does not need philly cheese.

The avocados are cheap and plentiful in the area were we live right now. I am reminded, as I am every season of the 3 beautiful mature avocado trees that were in the back yard of our last home. Oh how I wish I could have packed them up and moved them with me.





Guacamole

makes 1 1/2 cups

make from march to august

• 3 avocados (roughly chopped)
• 1/2 red onion (finely diced)
• 1 tomato (finely diced)
• 2 limes (juiced)
• 1 1/2 teas. tabasco sauce
• ground pepper
• extra virgin olive oil (if needed)
• coriander leaves (roughly chopped)

In a large bowl mash all of the ingredients together except the oil and coriander. Add olive oil if the mixture is too dry, if not, do not use at all. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with the coriander.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...