Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Baba ghanoush


(this beautiful painting is from here. Unfortunately it is sold, but more beautiful work by Abbey Ryan can be seen)

I have been trying to make more of an effort for our after school snacks. I have been making some homemade dips and they have been a hit, with my son at least. He will happily eat the whole bowl if I'd let him, it is hard for me to get a taste, let alone take a photo.

This is the baba ghanoush recipe I have been making for the last 20 years. Please use the quantities as a guide only, and adjust the recipe to your taste. For instance, the other day when I made this, I had a small eggplant and two very large lemons, if I had not adjusted the quantities I would have made something that was inedible.
 

Baba Ghanoush

makes 1 cup

• 1 large aubergine
• 1/4 cup tahini
• 1-2 lemons (juiced)
• 1 clove garlic (crushed)
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• 2 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped)
• salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 220 degrees. Prick the aubergine with a fork and roast for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the flesh feels soft and the skin is black and blistered. Allow to cool slightly. Cut in half and scoop out the flesh. Squeeze out the bitter juice. In a bowl mash the aubergine with the other ingredients until well combined.

Serve with pita bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...