Thursday, May 19, 2011

Brussels Sprouts - are you for or against?



I think I have only eaten brussels spouts twice before. Both of my parents have bad childhood memories of brussels sprouts. I don't remember them ever being cooked in my childhood home.

The first time I tasted them, I cringed, what I was served was overcooked, tasteless and a little cold, if I remember correctly. They had completely lived up to the brussels sprouts reputation. The second time I ate them, they were delicious. When I saw Jamie Oliver cook them with bacon, chestnut and sage butter on his Christmas DVD, I knew I wanted to try cooking them myself. I am always inspired to get back into the kitchen after watching one of Jamie's cooking shows.

This weekend at our local farmers market, I saw these baby brussels sprouts, they were calling out my name, I had to buy them. I cooked Delia's 'brussels sprouts in riesling and with bacon' and they weren't bad, I'm almost converted. I definitely needed a little more salt, and I cooked them for a little longer than Delia did in her recipe.

How do you cook your brussels sprouts? Do you have any tips?

So... am I for or against? I'm not sure yet. But I will give it another try, maybe try Jamie's recipe.

I would love to grow my own, did you know that brussels sprouts grow like this? Now I bet they would taste good.

2 comments:

  1. I was not a fan (read hated them) as kid and have never tried them again. My mum tried to pass them off as baby cabbages. Sorry mum nothing like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely blog! You have been busy. Beautiful photos.

    ok PLEASE try this recipe - it's the only way to eat brussels sprouts!

    http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/goldencrusted-brussels-sprouts-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...