Friday, August 12, 2011

Fettuccine Carbonara



I'm sure most of you have eaten 'carbonara' pasta dishes that have had the pasta swimming in cream. Or would that be drowning in cream? Years ago I stopped ordering this misunderstood dish when I ate out. Being left with a bowl of garlic cream sauce after my dinner was finished was not what I'd call appetising.

You can imagine my excitement when I received this gorgeous book, "Salute!" as a Christmas present one year and discovered how a true carbonara should be made. Here is the recipe from the book, adapted slightly because I like to eat carbonara with fettuccine and not spaghetti as is used in the book.

I'm not sure how Italians will feel about me changing the pasta choice, but, that's just how I like it. If you prefer spaghetti, you can substitute the 250 grams of fettuccine for 500 grams of spaghetti.
 

Fettuccine Carbonara

serves 4

• 250 grams fettuccine

• 1/4 cup olive oil

• 150 grams pancetta or smoked bacon (diced)

• 2 cloves garlic (crushed)

• 2 large eggs

• 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)

• 1/2 cup pecorino (grated)

• 2 tablespoons cream

• sea salt

• cracked black pepper


Bring water to the boil. Cook the fettuccine until al dente. Meanwhile fry the pancetta and garlic over a medium heat to remove the fat from the pancetta, be careful not to burn the garlic. While the pancetta is rendering, mix in a bowl, the eggs, half of the cheese, cream, sea salt and pepper. Drain the pasta but do not rinse. Transfer to a serving bowl and stir in the pancetta and egg mixture. Toss through the remaining cheese and finish with a generous grinding of black pepper. Serve immediately.

If you like, you can sprinkle with finely chopped parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...