Saturday, November 26, 2011

Don't feel like cooking?



This week has been busy, I have been feeling a little unwell and very tired. I did not want to cook. I usually end up cooking easy pasta meals when I have weeks like this.

This tuna pasta recipe I have been cooking forever, and it is one of my favourite easy dinner dishes. But two other pasta dishes that I often make from ingredients I have at hand, are Fettuccine Cabonara and Fettuccine alla Putanesca.

This week we ate these two yummy pasta dishes. One night my husband cooked, I cannot remember the last time he has cooked anything other than breakfast or the barbecue. One night we went out for dinner, again, not a regular occurrence in our house, it has probably been six months (at least) since we last went out to dinner as a family. And last night we had Indian takeaway. This is only the second time that we have bought takeaway in the 4 years that we have lived in this house. Usually I cook. This week (like I said) I did not want to cook.



Spaghetti with Tuna and Olives

serves 4-6


• 500 gram spaghetti
 
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 onion (finely diced)
• 2 cloves garlic (crushed)

• 1 x 185 gram tinned tuna (drained and flaked)

• 2 x 400 gram tinned tomatoes (chopped)

• 1 tablespoon tomato paste

• 1 bay leaf

• 2 tablespoons kalamata olives (roughly chopped)
• salt and pepper

• 2 tablespoons basil leaves (torn)

to serve

• parmesan cheese (grated)

Bring water to the boil in a large pot and cook the pasta until al dente.
In a large frying pan, heat the oil and gently sauté the onion and garlic. When the onion is soft Add all of the remaining ingredients except the basil and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir through the basil and toss the sauce through the spaghetti. Serve immediately.



Fettuccine alla Putanesca

serves 4


• 350 grams fettuccine


• 2 tablespoons olive oil

• 2 red chillies (finely chopped)

• 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
• 1 x 440 gram tinned tomatoes

• 1/2 cup red wine

• 1 tablespoon tomato paste

• 2 tablespoons sundried tomatoes (diced)

• 2 tablespoons kalamata olives (deseeded and chopped)
• 1 tablespoon anchovies (chopped)

• 2 teaspoon oregano (chopped)

• 1 teaspoon thyme (chopped)

• 2 tablespoons basil (chopped)
• salt and pepper


to serve

• parmesan cheese (grated)


Bring water to the boil in a large pot and cook the pasta until al dente.
Meanwhile in a large pan heat the oil and gently fry the garlic and chilli. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and wine, bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 10 minutes. Add the anchovies, sundried tomatoes, olives and herbs and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Season to taste. Toss the pasta through the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...