Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Homemade mayonnaise





Today we made our own mayonnaise. It had been years since I had made it and I wondered why it had been so long. Then I started whisking.....

and my arm almost fell off.

So have your muscles ready!

But honestly by half way through, I thought that I could be making this every other day. It's easy and it's yum!

Here is my recipe.

Mayonnaise

makes 1 cup


• 2 egg yolks
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• black pepper
• 1 teaspoon djion mustard

• 1/2 cup sunflower oil

• 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar


Before you begin, all ingredients should be at room temperature. Rinse out your mixing bowl in hot water and wrap a damp cloth around it's base to keep it steady.

Put the egg yolks, salt and mustard into the bowl and beat with a wire whisk. When the mixture becomes thick, begin to add the oil, one drop at a time at first. Whisking constantly. As the mixture thickens, increase the oil to a steady stream until the mayonnaise becomes thick and glossy. When all of the oil is incorporated, beat in the vinegar.

The mayonnaise with keep in the
refrigerator for up to 1 week.




I got so excited that I even made a lemon and dill mayonnaise to go on my lunch time chicken and salad sandwiches

Lemon and Dill Mayonnaise


recipe from above - omit the white wine vinegar and add

• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 1/2 tablespoons dill (finely chopped)

•••••••••

And because I don't want you missing out. I have also added our all time favourite aioli recipe.

Before our children were born we made this often. Usually midweek when my husband and I were both working and too tired to cook. We would make a large bowl of potato wedges and aioli for dinner. This was done so well by a favourite restaurant of ours that we always ordered it when we went out. However, we both agreed that our version was pretty damn good too.

Sorry no picture.

Aioli

makes 1 cup


• 3 cloves garlic (roughly chopped)

• 1 teaspoon salt

• 3 egg yolks (lightly beaten)

• 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

• 1/2 lemon (juiced)


Before you begin, all ingredients should be at room temperature. Rinse out your mixing bowl in hot water and wrap a damp cloth around it's base to keep it steady.Place the garlic and salt in a mortar and pestle and pound into a paste. Put the egg yolks and garlic paste into the bowl and beat with a wire whisk. When the mixture becomes thick, begin to add the oil, one drop at a time at first. Whisking constantly. As the mixture thickens, increase the oil to a steady stream until the aioli becomes thick and glossy. When all of the oil is incorporated, beat in the lemon juice.

The aioli with keep in the
refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Take a look here to see who else is participating in blogtoberfest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...