Sunday, June 26, 2011

Ratatouille



Warning: this is not a traditional French recipe for ratatouille. This is the ratatouille recipe that we made were I worked, many years ago in London. I ate it often and after cooking it daily for almost three years, I found that the recipe stuck with me. I love it and really like the addition of extra vegetables despite not being traditional.

Leeks, carrots, mushrooms, how did you get into this pot?

Does it really matter? they add heaps of yummy flavour.

I know how much my Mum loves ratatouille, so I made this last week, when she came over for a barbecue lunch.

Scooped up with fresh crusty bread and sunshine, it was delicious.



Ratatouille

serves 6-8


• 2 tables. olive oil

• 2 leeks (roughly chopped)
• 4 garlic cloves (crushed)

• 1 large carrot (roughly chopped)

• 1 aubergine - eggplant (roughly chopped)
• 2 red peppers
- red capsicum (roughly chopped)
• 2 courgettes - zucchini (roughly chopped)
• 1 1/2 cups mushrooms (roughly sliced)

• 2 x 440 grams diced tinned tomatoes

• 1 tablespoon tomato paste

• 1 bay leaf

• 1/2 teas. dried oregano

• salt and pepper

• 1 large handful of fresh basil leaves (torn)

Heat the oil in a large heavy based casserole pot and add the leeks, garlic, carrot, eggplant, capsicum and zucchini. Stir over a medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf and dried oregano. Season to taste and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for 30 minutes more. Turn off the heat and stir through the basil leaves.

This can be served warm, at room temperature or even cold. I prefer it to be served either warm or at room temperature. I often make it the day before to let the flavours develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...