Monday, September 26, 2011

Lamb mince and spaghetti



I grew up on spaghetti and mince. My Nana's spaghetti and mince, she always made a big batch of it on the farm when we came to stay for the holidays. We would eat it for dinner and then again for breakfast on toast the next day.

Many years ago I discovered this recipe, I think it might be of Lebanese origin? I can't remember. It too, is comfort food. When I cooked it, I wondered at children on the other side of the world, was this cooked by their grandmothers for them too?

My children love it. It is easy to make and a good alternative to spaghetti bolognese. And just like spaghetti bolognese you can puree some vegetables and hide them in the sauce!





Lamb Spaghetti and Mince


serves 6-8

• 500 grams spaghetti (broken into 10cm pieces)
• 500 grams lamb mince
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 onion (finely diced)
• 1/4 cup pine nuts
• 1/4 teaspoons salt
• 1/4 teaspoons pepper
• 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
• 1 x 450 gram tinned tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 cup water
• 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease large (28 x 32 cm) baking dish. Cook the spaghetti until al dente. Meanwhile heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onions until just soft. Add the lamb and brown lightly. Add the pine nuts, salt, pepper and cinnamon and mix well. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes, add the spaghetti to the sauce and mix well. Pour into the baking dish and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake in oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...