Monday, July 11, 2011

Poached Quinces



This recipe is from my very well thumbed copy of "The Book of Jewish Food" by the wonderful Claudia Roden. Apparently this is a popular way of cooking and preserving quinces in the Istanbul Jewish community.

I have been cooking this delicious quince recipe since I purchased the book from a London bookstore in the year of it's publication - 1998.

Oh my, that makes me feel old!

I hope you enjoy it too.



Poached Quinces

serves 4-6

make in may, june and july


• 1 kilo quinces (scrubbed, peeled and cut in slices across the fruit 2cm thick)

• 1/2 lemon (juiced)
• 100 grams caster sugar

• 6 whole cloves

• 600 ml water

• 1/4 teas. vanilla extract

to serve


• 150 ml clotted, double cream or mascarpone

Place the cut quinces immediately into a large saucepan with the lemon juice, sugar, cloves and water. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook the quinces for 2 hours, depending on the ripeness of the fruit. After 1 hour, add the vanilla. More water may need to be added or the fruit may need to be removed if it cooks to quickly. Once cooked, gently remove the quince slices and cut out the core with an apple corer, making sure you remove it all. Arrange onto a serving dish or bowl and pour over the strained syrup. Serve cold or at room temperature with clotted cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...