Sunday, May 15, 2011

Broccoli soup



I love making vegetable soups like this one for autumn lunches. Our days here at the moment are beautiful and sunny but the winds can be icy. Broccoli is just $1.99 a kilo at our local fruit shed, so it seemed like the perfect time to make this soup.

This is a recipe that I started making just last year. I have torn it from a newspaper, it is, I think, a Donna Hay recipe.

Broccoli Soup
serves 4


• 50 grams unsalted butter
• 1 leek (rinsed and sliced)

• 2 cloves garlic (crushed)

• 1 head broccoli (chopped)

• 4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock

• 100 grams baby spinach leaves

• 1 cup single cream (pouring or pure cream)

• 1 tablespoons lemon juice

• salt and pepper


In a deep heavy based stockpot, melt the butter and add the leek and garlic. Gently saute until the leek is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the broccoli florets and stock and bring to the boil. Cook for 8-10 minutes until the broccoli is tender. Add the spinach and cook for a further 2 minutes. Puree the soup until smooth and return to the pot. Stir in the cream, lemon juice and season to taste. Once the cream has heated through, serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Yippee!
    I told Captain V that this weekend I was going to make soup [as you do when the temps start to drop] and here I find three excellent recipes in your wonderful foodie space.

    Thank you so much,

    xx F

    PS Could you let me know if any of the soups are suitable to freeze before I go and make a whole stack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replied to Felicity privately back in May 2011. But for all of you linking from my latest post today and wondering if this recipe is suitable to freeze, then the answer is YES. I have frozen this soup many times, in fact I successfully freeze all of my soups and casseroles unless they contain potato. I find the texture and flavour of potato alters too much when frozen. (watery, spongy) Maybe that's just me.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...