Friday, September 23, 2011

Sweet Strawberry Pancakes



This recipe comes from an unusual source.

It was given to me by a guy I used to work with. I never had much to do with him, he worked in a different department and our lives and interests where very different. I never expected to getting recipes or cooking tips from him.

But one day we found ourselves at the lunch table together. He was telling me about the strawberry pancakes that he had made for his children that weekend. He was so animated when telling me about making these pancakes. The kids stirring the batter and chopping the strawberries, his older son, flipping the pancakes as they bubbled. Thick spongy pancakes to be served with great dollops of sweetened thick cream.

I told him he must give me the recipe and he happily wrote it out on the spot. He was excited to share it.

So I thank you Micheal, wherever you are. I know that you would not mind me spreading the word on 'your' yummy strawberry pancakes.



Strawberry Pancakes 

serves 6  

for the pancakes

• 3 cups self-raising flour
• 3 tablespoons caster sugar
• 4 tablespoons honey

• 2 eggs
• 2 1/4 cups milk

• 1 cup strawberries (diced)
 
• butter or oil for frying

to serve


• 300 ml cream (whipped and sweetened with 3 teaspoons caster sugar)
• 250 grams strawberries (quartered)


Preheat oven to 100 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar honey, eggs and milk to make a smooth batter. Fold the strawberries into the mixture. Heat a non-stick fry pan to medium heat. Add the butter or oil. To make each pancake, spoon a couple of tablespoons into the center of the fry pan and leave to cook until bubbles start to form on the surface of the pancake. When they start to burst, flip the pancake, cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Continue this process until all of the pancakes are cooked. Keep the cooked pancakes warm on a plate in the oven. Serve with the whipped cream and strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...