Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Italian Sausages



I have been spring cleaning at my house.

One thing that was overdue for a clean out was our free-standing freezer in the garage. I didn't have a clue what was in there, most of it was not labeled and I could hardly shut the door. It has been a great relief to have the job done. I haven't been to the butcher for nearly three weeks.

I found 5 x 500 gram packs of italian sausages hiding amongst frozen chicken pieces, lamb chops and a few roasts. I always buy them from our favourite italian deli in Brisbane, whenever we are there. Last night I made a favourite pasta dish of ours. I think that the original recipe for this dish came from a Delicious magazine, but as usual I have adjusted this and added that.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Italian Sausage,Tomato and Cream Rigatoni


serves 4

• 400 grams rigatoni pasta

for the sauce

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 red onions (diced)
• 500 grams italian sausages (casings removed)
• 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
• 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves (finely chopped)
• 1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
• 1 cup tinned diced tomatoes
• 1 cup beef stock
• 1/3 cup parsley leaves (finely chopped)
• 1/2 cup thickened cream

to serve

• 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)

Bring water to the boil. Cook the rigatoni until al dente. Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a heavy based pan, gently saute the onions until soft. Add the sausage meat to brown, cook for 3-4 minutes, breaking up the sausage meat with a wooden spoon while stirring. Add the garlic, rosemary, chilli, tomatoes and beef stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the meat is cooked. Season to taste. Stir through the parsley and cream and heat through. Toss the sauce over the cooked pasta and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

Take a look
here to see who else is participating in blogtoberfest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...