Friday, July 8, 2011

French Toast and Eggy Bread



My first introduction to French Toast was through my all time favourite book "Debbie learns to cook." I was so intrigued by the name of the dish and was excited as Debbie's mother taught her how to cook it, by herself.

Now at a similar age, my children have come to me asking for French Toast. Why? They had seen it being made on Playschool. I hadn't made it for a couple of years and they were to young to remember having ever eaten it before.

So we have been making it a bit lately - so quick and easy.

I remember my mother making French Toast for me. I think it was at my insistence, after reading about my new friend Debbie. She told me that when her mother had made it for her as a child, my Nana had called it Eggy Bread, which is what it is called in England. My grandfather was a Geordie and I'd say he would have much of it in his childhood.

I have called my sweet version of the bread French Toast and the savoury version, Eggy Bread for no other reason than to distinguish the difference between the two for my children.

French Toast

serves 4

• 4 eggs (lightly beaten)

• 8 tablespoons milk (or 4 tablespoons milk and 4 tablespoons cream)
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

• 8 slices of white bread (cut 2cm wide)

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2 tablespoon butter


to serve

• icing sugar


Combine the egg, milk and cinnamon in a large, shallow bowl. Heat half the butter and oil in a fry pan. Dip 4 bread slices in the egg mixture and fry on each side until browned. This usually takes a couple of minutes for each side. Add the remaining butter and oil and fry the remaining 4 slices.

Sprinkle liberally with sifted icing sugar and serve.


Eggy Bread

serves 4

• 4 eggs (lightly beaten)

• 8 tablespoons milk
• 8 slices of white bread (cut 2cm wide)

• 1 tablespoon olive oil

• 1/2 tablespoon butter

Combine the egg and milk in a large, shallow bowl. Heat half the butter and oil in a fry pan. Dip 4 bread slices in the egg mixture and fry on each side until browned. This usually takes a couple of minutes for each side. Add the remaining butter and oil and fry the remaining 4 slices.

Serve as part of a hearty savoury breakfast: eggs, bacon, slow roasted mushrooms or homemade baked beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...