Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Homemade baked beans for breakfast



When I first discovered the Internet I went in search of the perfect homemade baked bean recipe. I think I must of printed out at least 35 American baked bean recipes: Boston baked beans, ranch-style baked beans, chuck wagon beans, Vermont baked beans, New England baked beans, cowboy baked beans, the list went on and on.

It was a confusing time. I tried many of the American recipes and some were very good, but none were really the flavour that I wanted for breakfast baked beans. I was not really happy about the amount of sugar that went into many of the recipes.

I wanted to find a good baked bean recipe that I could feed to my children. I was not yet a mother, and I proclaimed that my children would never eat processed tinned baked beans. Now, that I am a mother, you will always find a couple of tins of Heinz baked beans in the cupboard. Just in case.

About five years ago this recipe fell into my hands when least expected it. I had all but given up the search for the perfect baked bean recipe, so I when I made it - just once - exactly to the recipe, I was pretty happy. I think it is a Woman's Weekly recipe, they really know what they are doing in their test kitchens!

I hope you like it too.

Baked Beans

 

serves 4-6

• 1 cup dried haricot beans (soaked overnight)

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 3 bacon rashers (diced)

• 1 onion (diced)

• 1 garlic (crushed)

• 1 tablespoon tomato paste

• 1 x 400 gram tin tomatoes

• 1 1/2 cups water
• 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
• 2 teaspoons djion mustard
• 1 tablespoon maple syrup

• salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a large heavy based saucepan and gently fry the bacon, onion and garlic until the onion is soft. Add the soaked beans, tomato paste, tomatoes, water worcestershire sauce and mustard and stir well. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to simmer. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover and cook for a further 15 minutes. Stir through the maple syrup and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...