Monday, January 9, 2012

Zucchini and Feta Fritters



Last night I made zucchini fritters. I can not tell you how much we love these at our house and I can't believe that I haven't posted this recipe before. It is so inspiring when you have your meat loving children skipping around the kitchen excitedly yelling:

"Yay! we are having fritters"

"I loooove fritters Mum"


"Guess what Dad, we are having fritters for dinner, Yipee, fritters!"

And at the dinner table:

"Mum I just can't get enough of these fritters!"

Many recipes that I have for zucchini fritters use more oil, you can if you want, but I am trying to keep them a little healthier by cooking them in a non stick pan with just a little bit of oil.

Whatever you do, don't skip the first step, it is very important that you get as much of the moisture out of the grated zucchini as possible. The last time I made these I tried cutting corners because I was in a rush. I didn't drain the zucchinis and the fritters just fell apart. It was a disaster.







Zucchini and Feta Fritters


serves 4

makes 14-16 fritters

• 500 grams zucchini (grated)

• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 spring onions (finely sliced)

• 2 garlic clove (crushed)
• 2 eggs

• 150 grams feta cheese (coarsely crumbled)

• 2 tablespoons parsley

• 2 tablespoons dill
• 1/3 cup plain flour

• 1 teaspoon baking powder

• salt and pepper


• olive oil for frying


to serve


tzatziki or yoghurt dip
• lemons wedges

Put the grated zucchini into a colander and sprinkle with the teaspoon of salt. Leave to drain for 1 hour.

Rinse the zucchini and squeeze out any excess water. Put the zucchini onto a clean tea towel and squeeze tightly over the sink to remove as much liquid as possible.
Add the zucchini to a large bowl and mix with the remaining ingredients.

Heat about a tablespoon oil in a frying pan to medium heat and spoon in the fritters. Use one tablespoon of mixture for each fritter. Flatten slightly. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown and the mixture is cooked through.

 





Last night we ate our zucchini fritters with a simple tomato salad, a green salad from the garden and this yoghurt dip.

2 comments:

  1. These look so yummy I can see why the kids were thrilled. Now I also know why mine always need extra flour to bind them and end up tasting floury. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am looking forward to making this great looking recipe when my zucchinis start producing in a week or so..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...