Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Remember this?

 

I have just realised that it was back in May, when I posted this ambitious cooking list. Do you remember it?

The choko's were made into choko pickle, the quinces were made into quince paste, the lemons were made into lemon curd and the Thai curry pastes were made.

All of the oranges and mandarins were gobbled up by my little monkeys, long before they could get anywhere near the jam pot. As have every other bag of citrus bought since! But I will be making marmalade soon. I didn't make any last year and recently had to buy it. This will not do, even the good quality store bought marmalade doesn't come close to homemade.

The cabbage, also, was not used as I had intended. When I read this line, in a book: "Making sauerkraut is like making beer." I decided to give it a miss. I was still battling my head cold and attempting a fermention process just seemed like too much hard work at the time. I didn't even have anything to store it in.

Instead the cabbage found it's way into soups and salads and this super yummy Scottish dish, Rumbledethumps.

I'll be honest, I made this recipe because of the name, Rumbledethumps. Just say it out loud - you see, I had to make it.  I'm not sure I was expecting to like it so much, but I did. I'd say eat it anytime; breakfast, lunch or a simple dinner, as an accompaniment or alone. Perfect peasant fare for those dark and gloomy winter days.

However, my kids were not so convinced, even when I said 'Rumbledethumps' with my best Scottish accent! They just couldn't find the fun in cabbage.

Hopefully you will.

This recipe is from Heather Williams of the Castle Hill Show Society and comes from 'The Country Show Cookbook'. I will write up the other recipes that I have cooked over the next week. I have been having a lot (A LOT) of trouble with my computer, which is why the recipes are piling up next to my computer instead of being shared with you.




Rumbledethumps 

serves 4-6

• 450 grams potatoes (peeled and roughly chopped)
• 60 grams butter
• 1 large onion (thinly sliced)
• 250 grams cabbage (finely shredded)
• salt and pepper
• 80 grams cheddar cheese (grated)

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Oil a 23cm baking (pie) dish. Cover the potatoes with cold water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered until the potatoes are tender. Drain in a colander and leave to sit for about 4 minutes before roughly mashing. Set aside. 

In a large frying pan, melt the butter and gently saute the onion until soft and golden. Add the cabbage and stir for about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes and season to taste. Stir to combine and then remove from the heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons of grated cheese and transfer the cabbage mixture to the baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...