Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Moroccan Eggs

 

I love making these delicious eggs for breakfast or lunch on cold winter days, however they are equally good for an easy dinner. After a busy day yesterday, I found myself out of time to get my grocery shopping done, this is what I made for our dinner.

The cupboard is never really bare.

With a glass of wine and perhaps too much yummy sourdough bread, it was the perfect way to end a crazy day.

Moroccan Eggs 

serves 4

• 600 grams tomatoes (diced) - you can used tinned tomatoes
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 onion (diced)
• 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
• 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (roughly ground)

• a pinch of saffron threads
• a pinch cayenne pepper

• salt and pepper
• 4 eggs
• 3 tablespoons parsley or coriander (roughly chopped)


Heat the oil in a large frying pan and gently sauté the onion and garlic with the cumin seeds. When the onion is soft, add the tomatoes, saffron and cayenne pepper. Season to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes. Make 4 indents in the tomato mixture and crack each of the eggs into the indent. With a fork thin the eggs whites over the surface of the tomato. Cover and until the egg yolks are cooked to your liking. Serve immediately with the parsley sprinkled over the top and lots of thick toast on the side.

Last night was the first time that I had made this dish with tinned tomatoes, it hardly seemed to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...