Thursday, July 14, 2011

And what to do with leftover pork belly?



Make fried rice of course.

When I was backpacking in my early twenties, I lived in a London backpacker hotel for about 5 months. It was not as bad as it sounds, I shared the room with some amazing girls who were all in London working and saving for their next travel adventure. A few streets away from the hotel was a Chinese takeaway that made the best fried rice I have ever tasted, before or since. With the price just £1.60, I ate this at least twice a week.

Now with a family, fried rice can be a good way to use up leftovers. Here is the recipe that I make. Again, I use this as a guide, adding whatever may be in the fridge. I can't remember where this recipe originally came from - Woman's Weekly? Donna Hay? A toddler cookbook perhaps?



Fried Rice


serves 6


• 2 tablespoons peanut oil
• 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
4 bacon rashers (diced)
• 2 teaspoons grated ginger

• 1 garlic clove (crushed)

• 6 shallots (sliced)

• 1/2 red capsicum (diced)
• 1 teaspoon sesame oil

• 3 cups cold cooked rice

• 2/3 cup frozen peas
(defrosted)
• 100 grams cooked chicken or pork

• 2 tablespoons soy sauce


Heat the peanut oil in a wok or large frying pan to a high heat. Add the beaten eggs and quickly fry until cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the bacon, ginger, garlic, shallots and capsicum and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the sesame oil and cold rice, stir and continue to cook to heat through. Roll up the egg and cut into thin strips, add the egg, peas and chicken to the fried rice. Cook to heat through. Stir through the soy sauce and cook for a minute more and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Yummmmmmmmmm!
    I love fried rice and so does hubby and also a couple of the kids. It may only be 8.15am but you have made me start craving it now lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear what's happening in your kitchen. If you've tried one of my recipes, I'd like to know what you thought? Do you have some advice to make it better? Did you find a mistake? Perhaps it is a new favourite in your home?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...